Learn Thai with the Red Shirts…
When it comes to learning the Thai language, there is a real need for decent materials. Gaccha, an expat living in Bangkok, aims to inspire others to contribute their Thai skills towards creating the needed materials.
Btw: For the record, I am not Red or Yellow. I am for the Thai people.
And now… over to Gaccha…
I have taken a Thai language article on Thaksin and the red shirts from Voice of America, and translated every single word(**) and transliterated all of it for maximum user advantage. There is then a Thai audio that is almost identical to the script. And there is an identical article in English. So for a one page article it is now 24 pages long.
PDF format: Red Shirts Thaksin Rally
Red Shirts Thaksin Rally:
I suggest the following…
- Listen to the audio initially and try to catch every word.
- Check against the article.
- Read the article and try to work out meanings of words that you do not recognise.
- Check these words and then read again.
- Then listen to the audio for around three sentences until your brain can instantly recognise every word.
- Try to read each word and check against the transliteration.
- Listen to the audio and see if you can pick up any words.
- Try to learn about 5 words and listen again to the audio.
Please note the following key:
- [G] Grammar– requires individual look up the word in a grammar book.
- (*) Word is a repeat. You failed to remember from first appearance in the article.
- // indicates this is another meaning of the word.
- / indicates this is a variation on a single meaning of word.
I have done this partially to show you all what a great idea this is and partially to persuade language publisher professionals to do the same.
(**) I have not translated what are essentially grammar points. If you don’t know these already you are probably a bit out of your depth already. Check out a beginner grammar book.
Latest posts by Catherine Wentworth (see all)
- Aakanee.com’s Thai Recordings and Illustrations on Youtube - August 30, 2017
- FREE Thai Course in Suk: Learn to Read and Write Thai - August 14, 2017
- FREE DOWNLOADS: Updated Quick & Dirty Thai Vocabulary and Phrases - August 10, 2017